Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Oops


A couple of mistakes post-brew day.

Starting to test the brew-controller, because of the poor wi-fi taking down the secondary Raspberry Pi, I switched the temp probe to another socket (measured from the primary). Unfortunately this ended up creating a short-circuit- complete with smoke.

- Thankfully after testing today I've found that I ended up with a corrupt swap partition on one of the RPi's - and the temperature probe in question has died (given that's only £3 or so) I'm not too upset.


The second mistake was that because the boil volume in the kettle was 36L not 31L then the IBU might be as low as 28 IBU instead of 48. THe recipe below was calculated as 17% IBU. The more I think about it the more I think the 13.4% printed on the label might have been correct (after all they were £2 for 100g).

The third mistake might turn out to be boiling up the remaining 50g of Bravo hops for 10 minute in a jar of honey and water. Putting in a sterile jar in the fridge over night and then putting it in the fermenttion bin. Fermentation was still underway (given the fridge still cutting in to cool the FV) so hopefully there won't be any oxidation.

A taste from the fermentation bin so far is not very bitter, but I guess until fermentation is over it's hard to tell.





Recipe Stats
Batch Size: 25.0 L
Estimated Gravity: 1.048 OG - 1.013 FG
Estimated ABV: 4.6 %
Estimated IBU: 48 IBU
Fermentables
 QtyIngredient
 6500 gmMaris Otter
Grain
Mash Required
HWE: 315.6
 340 gmHoney
Adjunct
HWE: 291.8
 250 gmTorrified Wheat
Grain
Mash Required
HWE: 299.5
Hops
 QtyIngredient
 25 gmBravo
Copper (60min) - 60 min
 25 gmBravo
Aroma (15min) - 15 min
 50 gmSimcoe
Dryhop - 0 min
 50 gmSimcoe
Flameout (0min) - 0 min
Yeast
 QtyIngredient
 1 pktSafale S04
Other
 QtyIngredient
 48 LBottled Water (2L)

Sunday, 22 June 2014

Simcoe The Brave

Today's brew is called "Simcoe The Brave", it gets the brave tag as there are two firsts in there.

1) It's the first time using a random Bravo hop for bittering, as it was £2 for 100g I figured I'd give it a go. I'm not sure if it's 17% or 13.2%.

2) It's the first use of the new brewcontroller.


It's been a bit of an adventures day, the brewcontroller was made up of two Raspberry PI's, one of the RPi had a wi-fi link, and a cross-over between them seemed a good idea (with a bridge it would be straightforward Multicast with IGMP,  I didn't want to go down L3 Multicast in Linux).

Unfortunately the wi-fi dongle keeps dropping and taking the bridge down - which means the inter-pi link fails. This causes all kinds of havoc when the secondary pi is controlling the SSR for the HLT and the primary pi is governing it all but is getting dropped.

I think the wi-fi dongle needs dropping and  instead go with a usb dongle and either wire up a wired ethernet socket outside or go with powerline adapters.

Alongside with contending with a flaky brew controller ended up getting 44 litres out of the mash because of all things left the tap open when thinking it was shut.

Eventful days like this often produce good beer